Wednesday, April 06, 2011

my spring break.

During this spring break, my dad, four other friends and I went to Whitefish, Montana to go snowboarding. After twelve straight hours of driving we arrived at the mountain. It never really hit me until now, how much physics I used while I was snowboarding. One example of physics I used was carving. To carve, you have to apply force towards your toe and heel edge to cut into the snow, allowing you to turn. Another example in which physics was very important was gaging speed for jumps, especially when there is a fifty or sixty foot gap between the take-off and landing and as much as ten or twelve feet in the air. If you don't have enough speed, you will hit the knuckle; jump too far, flat. Either one is not a good idea, this is why getting the right approach speed and take-off is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment